Saturday, August 6, 2016

Magic Play Dough for the First Day of School



Linda:  Last week my grandchildren and I made new play dough in my kitchen.  It reminded me of an activity I did with my kindergartners on the first day of school.  Each child received a small white ball of play dough which, when manipulated, would designate the type of year we would all have.  If the white changed to a color we’d have a great school year! 
Of course when I made the play dough, I poked my finger down into the center, added a drop or two of food coloring, and covered it up again.  Sometimes it’s just too easy to trick kindergartners!

Step 1:  Roll a white ball about the size of a ping pong ball.


Step 2:  Poke a hole with your finger and add a drop or two of food coloring.  Close up the opening and put the ball in a baggie with a copy of the poem. 


Step 3: The Children squish their play dough and watch it change colors!  

I added the short poem explaining the process so the parents would understand why their children were bringing home a small ball of play dough.  Click here to receive a free copy of the poem.

Lisa:  If you have never made your own play dough, check out our blog post from January for the recipe and photo directions.  I love this play dough!  My class uses it at centers and stations but I only have to make a batch two or three times during the school year.  Be sure to add the cream of tartar since it acts as a preservative.  

Have a fantastic first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment