Monday, April 11, 2016

The King of _Ing Freebie!

Lisa:  I’m continually amazed at how much my students have grown and learned this year, especially with journal writing!  The children use phonetic spelling and I can read almost all their stories now!  Recently I introduced the King of _Ing to them and had them make their own crowns to wear home. 

To reinforce the _ing suffix in their writing, I had them select a photo of a child performing an action to glue onto a page in their King of Ing journal.  They circled the appropriate word “he” or “she” and then wrote a story about the picture, using as many “ing” words as possible. 

Be one of the first to get these crowns and journal pages for  free!  If you click on this cover, you’ll be able to download these activities! 
Linda: The King of Ing is an idea from Kid Writing, a research-based approach to teaching writing in kindergarten.  For more information, click on the cover of the book to go to the website.  You won’t regret it!
Our students love looking for _ing words in books and in the environment.  One year I had a student named Irving.  I introduced the King of _Ing to the class and someone noticed that Irving’s name ended in _ing.  He was our king for the rest of the year! Maybe you'll have a king in your classroom too! 

Happy Teaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment