Friday, July 31, 2015

DUCT TAPE - OUR BBF!


Lisa:  Just as the old Staples commercial sang, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!”  My classroom is almost ready and I want to share with you some of the uses for duct tape in my room: 

I have found that the children stay focused on the lesson better when they have a spot for themselves to sit rather than spend all of lesson time moving from place to place!  I use a variety of colored duct tape and will be adding “spots” with black marker soon.  During the first part of the year I tape a label on with their names but as the year goes on, I put letters, numbers, shapes, and words on their places.  You got to keep them learning all day long!
Each of my work hexagonal work tables is assigned a color and everything at that table is labeled accordingly.  Here's my red table and the supply tubs for that table:
When students are finished early with their work, they go to the Red Drawers/Shelf to find another activity to work on rather than wander the room!
During the day the students might have papers for me to check.  Rather than have them give them to me, they put them in these magazine boxes that are labeled according to the color of their tables!  A name card will be slide down the front pocket so I can switch them around when I change their tables!
Even my cubby labels are now made with duct tape!  In the past we made paper labels and covered them with clear tape only to have them come off during the year.  Using duct tape with a permanent marker solved the issue of having to go back to fix these labels all year long!

Here’s a close up of the labels.  I took this picture yesterday but these labels are from last year’s class!  They endured a whole year of 5-year-olds!

Have fun setting up your classroom!
Linda:  To celebrate this most wonderful time of the year, we are participating in the Teachers Pay Teachers sale on Monday and Tuesday, August 3& 4.  If you use the code BTS15 and you can receive 28% off everything in our store! Stop by and save a bundle!  If you shop on our website store, use the same code for the same two days! 

Visit some of the stores below for more savings!


13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link up! Your classroom looks great and I like the duct tape on the floor idea! Julie ( Green Apple Lessons )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time we would use blue painter's tape but then Wal Mart came out with all these great colors! Have a good school year!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for joining!
      Linda

      Delete
  3. Wow! I never thought of all the fun ways to use duct tape in the classroom! Thanks for sharing the fun ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting! It was great to meet you in Las Vegas! I like how you've color coordinated your room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by our booth in Vegas! I missed the AZ meet-up there and wish I could go to any you have back home but I live in GA now. Maybe Lisa would go! Have a good school year!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link up and also thanks for sharing a piece of your classroom! It looks great! :)

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
  7. You classroom looks of great! Love the uses for the duct tape. I think having assigned floor spaces makes a world of difference for classroom management. Thanks so much for hosting this linky!- Kim
    http://curriculumandcrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks! This one is Lisa's room. I'm retired and now have a "playroom" for the grandkids!

      Linda

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the link up Linda! I've used duct tape on the carpet for the same reason and it was great until I couldn't get it off! My carpet was too thick I guess. :( Have a great year!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete